So, do you want to learn how to install a ford f150 power running board motor replacement but can’t seem to figure out how to do it? Don’t worry! We’re going to help you get through this mess in a few and simple steps.
Besides installing a new power running board motor for the Ford F-150, we will also go over three power running board motors that we have chosen, and why you should get them.
So, if you want to go on a ride without worrying about the power running board motor, you’ve come to the perfect place.
- 1 2 Common Ford F150 Power Running Board Symptoms
- 2 How Much Does a Ford F-150 Power Running Board Motor Replacement?
- 3 Top 3 Best Power Running Board Motors Reviews
- 4 DIY Guide: How to Replace a Running Board Motor On the Ford F-150
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
- 6 Conclusion
2 Common Ford F150 Power Running Board Symptoms
So, you bought a new and beautiful F-150 with 0 miles on it, and everything worked fine until you started noticing that the power running boards were not working properly?
Yeah, we’ve been there before, and it honestly sucks. To help you track down this problem, here is a small list of symptoms that indicate the power running board went bad:
01. Running boards not working at all
Several F150 owners have reported that their running boards won’t work at all.
Sometimes they might get the running boards to work for some time, but after a while, the problem comes back.
And even using rust penetration spray does not seem to do anything for the running boards. You might even feel tempted to get a new running board as you can’t seem to figure out what’s going on.
So, what is exactly causing all this nonsense? If the running boards are not working despite all your efforts to get them to work again, there is a high chance that the wire connector got corroded.
If the wires got corroded, here is what you can do to fix this issue:
- Get to the motor assembly so that you can find the wire connectors
- Now you want to spray some cleaner all over the connectors
- Here, you also want to use grease to get them working again
By doing all this process, the running boards should be in great shape now. As you can see, this is an inexpensive solution as you don’t have to replace the running boards.
02. Running not coming down all the way
What are some of the most common ford f150 power running boards problems? The most common symptom is the running boards not coming all the way down.
As you open the door of the vehicle, the running boards begin to come out, but they get stuck halfway. And no matter how hard you try, they will not come down.
So, you get into this nasty situation where the running boards might get stuck halfway, and sometimes they might drop back down. Either way, this situation is super annoying.
So, why does this happen to begin with? Well, the hinges on the truck get seized up over time. Once the hinges get seized up, the running boards will not go down.
Running boards getting stuck is a common issue that several F-150 owners have reported. While some of them try to put up with it, some people can’t stand their new F-150 not working as intended.
To fix this here is what you can do:
- Get a brush and clean the hinges. By doing this, you will get rid of all the bulk on the hinges
- Now use compressed air on the hinges
- From there, you want to spray rust penetrant all over the hinges
- We recommend using a straw so that you can have more control over the rust penetrant
- Now you want to open and close the doors. By doing this, you will get the running boards in motion
- Keep doing this process until the running boards are working again
Sometimes you might be lucky enough to fix the running boards by cleaning them. However, that might not always be the case.
How Much Does a Ford F-150 Power Running Board Motor Replacement?
Are you wondering how much does a ford f150 power running board motor replacement cost? On average, you can find running board motors for about $130.
Running board motor replacements for a Ford F-150 cost about $90. However, you can find some running board motors for about $70. And $230 gets you a running board motor for both the passenger and the driver side.
But that’s just the price for a replacement. If you have a mechanic install it for you, they will most likely charge you about $200 for the labor.
Again, the price depends on where you live and who your dealer is. As always, we recommend pricing around to find the best deal.
Top 3 Best Power Running Board Motors Reviews
If you need help picking up power running board motors, you’re in the right place.
We’ve tested them out several times, and we have been pleased with the results. And, we’ve figured that they’re excellent choices if you need a high-quality power running board motor.
So, do you want to know more about those running board motors? If so, here are the most efficient running board motors for the F-150:
01. Auto Parts Prodigy AL3Z16A506A: Front Right passenger Power-Board Motor
Do you need a great and efficient running board motor for the Ford F-150? If so, this motor will do wonders for you.
After going through hundreds of running board motors, we’ve realized how hard it is to find one that fits perfectly without doing any unnecessary steps.
But after going through all that pain, we finally came across this running board motor, which fits perfectly for the F-150.
As for the performance of this product, we have been pretty happy with how efficient it is.
We believe that this is an excellent replacement for your current running board motor without spending too much money.
- Excellent replacement
- Great performance
- Fits perfectly
02. Auto Parts Prodigy AL3Z16A507A AL3Z16A506A: Front Left & Right Driver/passenger
Do you want to save a lot of money and headaches but don’t know what running board motor to get? If so, this is an excellent choice for you.
Designed to work as a replacement, this product from Auto Parts Prodigy really excels when it comes to efficiency.
If both the passenger and the driver side motors stopped working, this is an excellent choice to fix this problem as soon as possible.
This model is more expensive than the previous one, but that’s because you get both the left and right power running motor.
And finally, if you have a 2007 Ford F-150 and 2014 F-150, this model will fit perfectly for those trucks.
- Great replacement
- Stunning performance
- Both left and right motor
03. GELUOXI AL3Z16A507A AL3Z16A506A: Front Right Passenger Running Board Motor
Are you looking for a running board motor that brings back to life the running boards on the vehicle? If that’s your goal, then this is the product you’ve been looking for all this time.
The best thing about this product is that it is compatible with pretty much the entire F-150 series. It is compatible with the 2007 series all the way up to the 2014 F-150 series.
Another great feature of this product is that it is a stainless steel running board motor, which means that you won’t have to worry about it getting corroded over time.
Because of that, maintenance is less tedious as you only have to worry about the running board itself and not the motor.
- Perfect replacement
- Mind-blogging performance
- Anti-rust running board motor
DIY Guide: How to Replace a Running Board Motor On the Ford F-150
Now that you’ve picked up the right power running boards f150 motor, it’s time to remove the old one and install the running board motor.
If you want to save up a lot of money and do it yourself, this is the perfect guide for you. We’ve made this guide as easy as possible so that you can safely install the new motor.
Without any further due, here is what you need to install a running board motor:
01. What you will need
To replace the old running board motor, you need a few tools. Here is what you need:
- A socket wrench to remove the bolts from the running board motor
- Penetrating oil to spray on the bolts in case they are corroded
- Floor jacks to jack up the truck
- Jack stands to make sure the vehicle does not fall down on you
Once you get all those tools, you’re ready to proceed with the rest of the tutorial.
02. Jack up the truck
First and foremost, you need to jack up the vehicle if you want to remove the running board motor. To do this, here is what you need to do:
- Make sure the truck is on an even surface
- Now you can jack up the truck
- Don’t forget to place the jack stands for safety. If the floor jack can’t candle the truck anymore, the jack stands got your back
Do you need help jacking up the truck? Here is an excellent video you can watch:
03. Remove the running boards
Once you have jacked up the truck, you need to remove the running boards from the vehicle. To do this, follow these steps:
- Get underneath the car, and begin to remove all the bolts from the running board
- There are quite a few bolts that you need to remove, so take your time
- Once you have removed the bolts from one side, you need to remove the bolts from the other running board
- Be careful when doing this as you don’t want the running board to hit your face
- If needed, use penetrating oil. By doing this, you will have an easier time removing all the bolts
- Now you want to clean the running board. This way, you will have a clean running board, and the running board motor will perform better
If you need help removing the running boards, here is a video to help you get through this tedious process:
4. Take off the running board motor
Once you have taken off the running boards and cleaned them, you want to take off the current running board motor.
Here is what you need to do:
- Use the socket wrench to remove all the bolts from the motor
- Spray penetrating oil on the bolts to loosen them up a little bit
- Now take off the running board motor
Once you have completed these steps, you’re pretty much ready to install the new running board motor.
05. Install the new running board motor
We’re almost done! This part is the most tedious process as you have to put everything back on, and that takes some time.
- Get all the bolts for the running board motor and put them back on the motor
- Make sure you have cleaned the running boards before you put them back on
- Now all you need to do is put everything back on the other side
And that’s all it takes to install a new running board motor. If the running board motor ever stops working, you now know to replace it one in a short amount of time!
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Do you want to learn more about running board motors for the F-150? If so, here are three common questions about power running board motors:
01. How do you change a running board on a motor?
Here is what you need to do to replace a running board motor like a professional:
- Take off the running board
- Clean the running board with a brush to remove any built-up dust
- Take off the old running board motor
- Now you can safely put on the new running board motor
02. How do I fix my running board?
You might not have to place the running boards if the running boards are getting stuck halfway. To fix this issue, here is what you need to do:
- Spray rust penetrant on the hinges
- Make sure it is soaking wet
- Now you want to open and close the doors
- By doing this, you will fix the running board
03. How do you take the running board off a Ford Explorer?
Here is what you need to remove the running board off of a Ford Explorer:
- Get a socket wrench to remove the bolts from the running board
- Now you want to get underneath the vehicle
- When loosing up the bolts, be careful. The running board could land on your face
- Now you can remove the running board
As you can tell by now, installing a ford f150 power running board motor replacement is quite simple, and you don’t need a degree to do so.
As long as you have the right tools, you can replace the running board motor.
Sometimes you don’t even have to replace the running board motor if you suspect it went bad. All you need to do is clean the running board, and you’re set for life.
But if you have to replace it, you now know how simple it is, and how much money you can save by doing it on your own.