Are you experiencing Ford Rear View camera problems? Don’t worry! We’ll help you sort things out.
We’ve all been there at some point. You’re about to park, and all of a sudden, the camera display is not showing up.
So, you begin to wonder what’s going on. The back camera of your car is such an essential tool nowadays.
We can’t imagine parking without our back camera.
So, making sure that the camera is working at all times is a must. And that is why we’ll help you fix the camera so that you can safely park.
If you want to learn more about rear cameras, make sure to read throughout the whole article!
Do you want to replace your Ford navigation system? Then check here the top listed table…!!
List of Top Brand For Ford Rear View Backup Camera
Ford Rear View Camera Common Problems & Solutions
When you first run into one of those issues, it’s normal to feel overwhelmed. You’ve had your car for so long now, so it is tiresome when this happens.
But no need to freak out over this little issue anymore! We have had this happen to us before.
So, we know pretty well what the culprit is and what you can do it fix this issue right now.
But before we move any further, here are some common problems that cause the back camera to malfunction:
01. Delay issue
Is your camera display experiencing delay? Then chances are it is a wiring issue.
This problem is incredibly common, and it is one of the most annoying issues you can run into when driving.
You don’t have control over this problem as it happens randomly.
You turn on the car, and the cameras are heavily delayed by 10-15 seconds before they turn on when you put the car in reverse.
And sometimes the camera display won’t even show up. Instead, a window with a frighting error appears: saying that the camera is unavailable at the moment.
So, what is the culprit behind such an annoying error? Well, You could either have a wiring issue going on or it could be a faulty camera.
If it is the camera, then you will have to replace it.
02. Camera not showing up on the screen
Are you getting a window saying Ford Rear View camera unavailable? Then you have to reset the camera.
The camera not being shown on the screen is a common issue. Unlike the previous one, you don’t experience any delay with this problem.
With this problem, the camera will not show up when you put the vehicle in reverse.
Fortunately, all you need to do is go to the camera settings and turn off everything, and you’re good to go.
03. Faulty Mounting Bracket
Another common issue that can cause a camera to malfunction is a mounting bracket.
Most of the time, you can tell you have a faulty mounting bracket when the camera stops working all of a sudden.
Another common sign that you have a loose mounting bracket is when the camera shakes a lot when you put the vehicle in reverse.
Luckily for us, this issue can be easily fixed by replacing the mounting bracket.
Replacing a mounting bracket is an inexpensive solution, and if you do this yourself, you’d be saving hundreds of dollars.
04. Upside Down Camera
When you first notice that the camera is upside down, the first thing that might go through your head is that somebody decided to flip the camera to play a little joke on you.
However, that is not the case. We’ve experienced that error many times before.
Most of the time, the upside-down error is caused by the software.
You can fix the upside-down issue by making sure the system is up to date. If that does not work, you can try resetting the camera.
If those two solutions do not work, you will have to get a new camera and replace the old one.
Ford Rear View Camera Cost
Going to the dealer and have them fix a faulty camera is ridiculously expensive.
You have to pay for the new camera they are going to install, and now you have to pay for the labor.
But, if you’re more of a DIY-er kinda person, then you can save a lot of money.
For example, sometimes the camera of your car stops working suddenly, and it won’t show up no matter what you do.
Sometimes you can fix that issue by simply resetting the camera. On the other hand, if you go to a dealer, they will charge you a whopping $160 to reset the camera.
But if you did it yourself, you would be saving it all. And you wouldn’t have to take time out of your day to go to the Ford dealer.
Now, sometimes it requires more than a casual resetting. Sometimes you might need to get a new camera and replace the faulty one.
And this is not a cheap solution. If you go to the dealer, you should expect to pay $700 for a new replacement.
However, if you do it on your own, all you need to do is replace the camera, and that’s about it.
DIY GUIDE: How To Fix A Ford Rear Camera
Are you experiencing problems with your ford rearview camera while driving? Then you are in the right place.
In this DIY guide, we’ll teach you how to get your camera back to working in a short amount of time.
You don’t need to spend thousands of dollars going to the dealer when you can do it yourself.
If you like saving up money just like we do, keep on reading because we are just getting started.
01. What you will need
If you want to follow along with this tutorial, you need to get a few tools before you can replace your camera. Here is what you need to gather:
- A brand new camera—but before you get one, you need to make sure it is compatible with your car. Otherwise, it won’t work
- A new base emblem—the old one will break when you take it out. So, you must get a new one
- A screwdriver—we will use the screwdriver to take out the base emblem
- A socket wrench—we will use it to remove the screwdrivers from the vehicle
02. Remove the base emblem
To replace the faulty camera, you first need to remove the base emblem. The process is quite simple and does not take time.
However, you have to keep in mind that you will break the base emblem when you pull it apart. There is no way around that, it will crack, and you must get a new one.
Now that we are on the same page, here is what you must do to take pull apart the base emblem:
- Get the screwdriver and get underneath the base emblem
- Now place your hand around the base emblem
- Move the screwdriver around the base emblem and apply pressure around it
- By doing this, the screwdriver should come off
Once you have done that, you will notice that the tabs are broken. But don’t worry, you can throw away that old base emblem as we won’t need it anymore.
03. Remove the screws
To fix the Ford F150 rear view mirror backup camera, you need to remove the base emblem.
Once you have removed the base emblem, you need to remove the screws from the car. To do this, here is what you need to do:
- Get the socket wrench and begin to loosen up the screws on both sides
- Once you do that, grab the screws and put them somewhere you can find them
This process is pretty simple and should not take any time. When you remove the screws, you can move onto the next part of the tutorial.
04. Remove the camera
Now, here you want to be really careful when removing the camera from the connector.
While it is true that we won’t use the old camera anymore, we will still rely on the connector.
To remove the camera from the connector, here is what you must follow:
- Grab the connector and apply a little bit of pressure. Do not go too hard on it as you will damage the connector
- If you can’t get it to pop off, get a screwdriver and apply a little bit of pressure in there
05. Install the Ford Camera
We’re finally getting closer to installing the ford camera. Everything we’ve done so far has been for this very moment.
Now, the steps down below take a little bit more time. So, don’t worry if you spend more time than you thought.
So, to install the ford camera, here are the steps you must follow:
- First of all, you need to unscrew the holding tab on the new plate. Make sure to take it out as you won’t be able to install the camera.
- Now grab the new camera the put it inside the new plate. Make sure you don’t place it backward. Otherwise, you will get an upside-down image
- From there, you need to screw the camera
- Once you do that, grab the connector and plug it inside the camera
- And now you want to put the new camera back in.
- You know you placed it correctly when you hear a clicking sound
- And finally, put everything back
If you managed to follow all the steps, the camera should be working fine now. To test it out: get on the car and put it in reverse.
Are you more of a visual learner? If so, here is an excellent video you can watch:
06. Set up the camera
After fixing ford mustang rearview camera problems, you probably noticed that some options are not working at all.
For example, the zoom option and the warning lights are not being shown on the screen.
But why is it? When you replace the camera of the vehicle, you need to program the new one.
Otherwise, you will only get the camera to work, but the main features will not work.
So that is what we have left to do. To program the ford camera, here is what you need to do:
- Download FORScan, and then install it on your PC
- Connect the PC to the car through an OBD device
- Open FORScan and then click on “Connect to the vehicle”
- A few windows will pop up to make sure you have everything on hand. When that happens, click on “ok.”
- Now the scan will begin
- When the scan is over, you want to click on the wrench icon
- Scroll down and click on “Rear Camera Calibration
- When you run that service, a window will pop asking you to turn the ignition off. So, go ahead and turn the ignition off to proceed to the next step
- Now turn the ignition on again two times without your foot on the brake
- Here, the FORScan software should tell you everything is working
- Now put the vehicle in reverse to make sure the camera is working again
And that’s how you save $700 and another $150 for programming the camera.
If you need help setting up the camera, here is a video you can watch:
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
If you have any questions about ford rear view cameras, you can find four of them down below.
01. Why is my backup camera glitching?
It’s hard to tell what could be the culprit. But most of the time, it’s safe to assume that you have a faulty camera.
But if you want to be sure, you can use FORScan to run a scan on the car.
02. Why is my backup camera black?
If the screen goes black on and off, then you got a wiring problem going on. To fix this, you need to make sure all the cables are connected correctly throughout the system.
03. How do I fix my rear camera?
If your camera is not working anymore, you want to reset the camera to see if that fixes the problem.
However, if that does not work, consider replacing the old one with a new camera.
04. How do you test a rearview camera?
If you want to test your camera, you want to download FORScan and run a scan.
FORScan will give you a detailed list of the things that could be causing the camera to malfunction.
Did you find out why you’re having Ford rearview camera problems? We hope you managed to find the culprit as well as fix the camera.
As you can see, the process to fix a ford rear camera is pretty simple. You don’t need to be a mechanic to do any of the steps we did before.
As long as you take some time out of your day, you should fix the issue. And now you have another skill under the belt.
So, if you ever have that happen to you again, you can figure out what’s going on with the camera.